Monday, November 10, 2008

"True Triumph"

There has always been this unspoken rule as I was coming up, and that was the person that could beat every person they fought with was the "Big Person on Campus". The bully mentality was very much alive when I was rather young, and with a bit of shame I must admit that I prescribed to that type of attitude. I would allow myself to get angry rather quickly when I felt I was wronged in one way or another, and would rather settle the dispute with a physical altercation much more than to try and talk it out.

I found that even with the so-called triumph over the other persons after the physical altercation that there was something that was missing. Yes, I walked away with my chest out but the rush that was there moments ago left just as quickly. I had to keep winning these altercations in order to keep that "feeling" fresh.

It was after I became a believer in the faith that I found the triumph over an individual was not the feeling of satisfaction that I was looking for at such a young age , but instead was the conquering of myself. I will not say that I have arrived at perfection but I'm closer now than I ever was then, and when things begin to get a little difficult for me I just stop and remember the scripture that reads..."He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city."Prov 16:32 NKJV

No comments: