Friday, November 28, 2008

"Debt Relief"

I would have to say that the introduction to credit cards when I was a younger adult was a bitter sweet one to say the least. I mean to be able to purchase something and not have to pay for it for at least 30 days, wow. Yes, of course there was a certain amount that could be charged, and the way I approached it was simple; I'd charge up to the limit and then pay it off when pay day came.

The system I had was going good until an interruption in my employment dictated that I start making the minimum payment. This was alright for a moment until I realized that the minimum payment wasn't taking down the balance I owed. I soon found myself so overwhelmed that I was going to need help freeing myself; so I looked for that help and found the way out. I had to change my spending habits and a lot of other things had to change, but it works as long as I stay committed.

The same could viewed with the state of man when he is without the God. We go through life charging and racking up spiritual debt that we could never pay off even if we tried, and this is why Jesus came and paid the price for us with His on blood.

Now that the debt is paid we must live our lives according to the stipulations that the Lord has given to us once we have accepted what He did for us. Yes, our habits have to change and the commitment we make to Him is one of a life time.

"Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." Romans 6:18

1 comment:

shoprat said...

You are right, but from a purely worldly point of view the Scriptures also has this bit of advice about buying on credit.

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another. Romans 13:8

Of course it is practically impossible to live without some borrowing and some debt but it should be avoided when possible.