Friday, November 14, 2008

"A Little Landscaping"

I started cutting grass when I was around 11 or 12 years old. My brother and I had a system when we had to cut the grass, because the yard was rather large for a couple of pre-teens. It was always a competition to see which one of us could cut our section of the yard the quickest, and then the next time we would switch sections to do the whole competition thing again. We weren't too readily concerned with the state of the yard other than it got cut.

I later in life worked as a quality control manager with a landscape company in the south, and the overall description of my job was to check the work of the guys cutting the different properties that the company had contracts with. I had to make sure the yards were edged properly and that any and all weeds were removed from the flower beds. The hedges had to be clipped and shaped correctly and when it was time for pruning the trees it was imperative that the right branches were cut properly.

Working with that landscape company helped me to see the importance of the scriptures and the need for us as believers to really search and study them. It is when we just go and read a scripture here and there that we end up doing what my brother and I did for so many years cutting the grass at home. However, when we stop to examine what the word is saying to us in any given situation we begin to allow the word to landscape our lives, removing the weeds and trimming back the shrubbery that has blocked our view for so long, and allow the world to see the workings of the Lord in our lives.

A little landscaping tends to bring forth a brightness to an area so..."Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."Matthew 5:16

No comments: