Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Thirst Quencher"

I am what some in my circle would call a "kool-aid connoisseur". I perfected the art of kool-aid making back in the late 70's early 80's when a good glass of kool-aid was practically worth it's weight in gold during that time.

I can remember making upwards of three pitchers of kool-aid in one days time, and sometimes more than that on the weekends. It was as if we couldn't get enough to satisfy the unending thirst we had as children. When my mother saw how much kool-aid we were really going through in a weeks time, she started telling us to drink water instead of the kool-aid. Now, it is true she was telling us to drink water all along but you know how adolescents can get.

Of course this was the time before the bottled water craze really took off, so it was nothing to drink straight from the faucet. I must say, when I really started drinking water the way my mother wanted us to do, it stopped me from being as thirsty as I was drinking the kool-aid.

Which brings me to my close for today. When I was in my world before I accepted Christ in my life, I was drinking from the world's kool-aid pitcher just like a lot of people still are and I continued to be thirsty not knowing why. It wasn't until I was offered a drink of "Living Water" that the satisfaction of my thirst was quenched. So, today I can truly understand and identify with the psalmist in the scriptures, because I now know where and from whom to drink.

Psalms 42:1

No comments: