Sunday, October 26, 2008

Whichever way the wind blows.

I have had friends I grew up with that would agree with you one moment and not even 30 seconds later in the same conversation would agree with someone else and disagree with you. The fun thing I used to do (and I've since repented for) was to hold a conversation with these persons and in the course of our discussion whatever it was at the time I would change my mind about three or four different times just to see if the individual would do the same.

I was never disappointed with results of my little experiment that I had conducted on my seemingly unstable friends. I was always told from the time I could remember that whatever decision I make to stand by that decision. However, even in those instructions I received I was also instructed to listen to all sides of the argument and after hearing both sides then decide whether the position I was standing on was yet the correct one.

This brings us to consider the scripture that instructs us to ask God for any lack of wisdom we may have and not only to ask God, but to do it with the expectation that God will do just what we are asking him. We aren't to be the friends of my past that would believe one way today and then the next day believe something totally different. The scripture refers to this person as being like a wave that is tossed back and forth by the wind.

Let us believe the Lord for the promises He has spoken to us, not only in the scriptures but also what He has spoken to us individually. Let's not be tossed back and forth or whichever the wind blows, because the scriptures say it best...James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in ALL his ways.

No comments: