Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"...I need...I"ll want..."

I was a child of the late sixties and seventies. My siblings and I didn't have that bad of an upbringing. Though we weren't rich by any means; we weren't necessarily dirt poor either. My parents did pretty good providing the daily necessities that we required for ourselves. I don't really recall ever wanting for things as a child.

Now that I'm the parent however; I have not it seems followed the pattern that was set by my parents. I missed the lesson they were teaching ; whether they realized it or not. I thought the more I gave my children the happier and more joyful they would be as they grew, however the more we gave as parents the more they wanted as children; it seemed as though they were never satisfied.

Don't miss understand me; I'm not nor would I ever suggest that we not see to the needs of our children. There is, I believe, a line that exists and to cross it is to invite a host of attributes that are completely unacceptable i.e. Greed, Covetousness and Gluttony just to name a few.

The 30th chapter of Proverbs says in the second part of the 8th verse,"...give me just enough to satisfy my needs." Because, 9th verse "For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name."NLT

The scripture reveals to us that there is a slippery slope that we walk on when we allow our wants to be the gauge of our satisfaction. The Lord told his disciples in the book of Matthew after they asked him to teach them to pray; he said in 6:11 "give us this day our daily bread."

We shouldn't be so preoccupied with tomorrow, next week or next year; for the Father knows what we have need of, so let us continue to ask the Lord for our daily bread and in doing this; it keeps ever dependent upon Him.

Give me what I need and I'll want more of You.

No comments: