Monday, February 2, 2009

"The Thrill of Victory...and Defeat Don't Rejoice"

Anybody else remember the opening of the Saturday sports show that came on the ABC station with Jim McKay? I think the best part of the whole show was that opening; "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport… the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat… the human drama of athletic competition… This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!"

It didn't matter, every time I saw that ski jumper, Vinko Bogataj, I would get this sinking feeling in my stomach. Not once did I ever close my eyes or turn away from the television screen when that part of the opening came up.

Yeah, it good that there were those persons in the opening shown under the phrase, "the thrill of victory" and from time to time it was someone different. However, they stuck with that one footage of Bogataj for about twenty years before showing other dramatic; "agonies of defeat". Although, the ABC show no longer airs like it did; we still can hear that catch phrase even today in the 21st century.

Why does it seem we are so enamoured with the defeat of others? We go into song when our team wins, but the songs aren't victorious songs for our team they are degrading songs toward the defeated teams. We leave the event rehearsing all the parts that led to the other teams defeat, why do we do that?

The seventy disciples of Jesus came back to Him and was just rejoicing over the fact that the demons were subject to their words. Jesus quickly let them know that though he has given them power to be victorious; He didn't want them to rejoice in this fact. Instead, He told them to rejoice over the fact that their names are written in heaven. (Lk 10:17-20)

So, saints let's rejoice with them that do rejoice, but never rejoice over defeats.

4 comments:

Z said...

OH, this is rough! I was rooting for the Steelers Sunday and SO EXCITED (mostly because Elmer's Brother is a fan and he's such a good guy!..didn't know Papa Frank was such a Cardinal's fan or I'd have been REALLY conflicted!)...but, when I saw the faces on the Cardinals as they realized what had happened I could have wept...seriously.
Especially because one of the guys had done a great play and thrown his finger into the air as if pointing to God for the THANK YOU, LORD!
Of course, I'm not too big on thinking God's into picking winning sides of ANY competition, but I DO like that our young men are putting HIM first in that way.

So, yes, I must admit it's never been my nature to rejoice over another's defeat. I'm not a great person, I just got a lot of genes from my Dad and HE WAS A VERY GREAT PERSON, so I lucked out!

xxx z

Ducky's here said...

Why does it seem we are so enamored with the defeat of others? We go into song when our team wins, but the songs aren't victorious songs for our team they are degrading songs toward the defeated teams. We leave the event rehearsing all the parts that led to the other teams defeat, why do we do that?

----------------------

I'd like to think I am a gracious winner or loser ... unless the opponent is the New York Spankees.

Ducky's here said...

The seventy disciples of Jesus came back to Him ...

-------------------

Seventy? Some back story on this.

I.H.S. said...

Ducky, you can find the story of the seventy disciples in the Book of Luke chapter 10.

Blessings.