Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Wait Until He's Finished"

I remember going to the barber shop as a young man and I tell you it was always an interesting experience. I learned by watching the barbers which one I should have my hair cut by that day. Once you have been there a little while you'd see which barber was the master barber, he was the barber who knew how to work and rework the persons hair when it didn't turn out the way he intended.

The responsibility of the cut was always on the shoulders of the barber, however the person sitting in the chair had a responsibility to maintain their position in the chair until the barber had completely finished his work.

So, one may ask, 'where are you going with this'?

In the 18th chapter book of Jeremiah the Lord directs Jeremiah to go down to the potter's house. Once he is there, Jeremiah, notices the potter working on the wheel with some clay and as Jeremiah continues to watch the potter, he notices the vessel the potter made was marred and didn't turn out the way he wanted; so he started over with the clay on the wheel and reworked. Jer 18:1-6 NLT

Saints, the responsibility for making us the vessels the Lord desires for us belongs to Him and to Him only. The ONLY responsibility we have is to maintain our positions on the wheel and allow the Lord to finish the work He has begun in us.

Phl 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

6 comments:

Yehudi said...

Well said, my friend. It's amazing how patient He is, how He allows us to 'get off the wheel' if it gets too uncomfortable for us. When we decide to get back on and submit to His gentle and loving hands once again, He welcomes us back with a smile.

I.H.S. said...

Yehudi, you are correct, He 'allows' us to get off the wheel even in the midst of His gentle objections no to.

And, the smile of welcome when we return to the wheel is never mixed with an 'I told you so', but with a, 'Now where were we'.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

That's such a good analogy, because it's so hard to keep a pot centered on the wheel! It's definately the hardest lesson a novice needs to learn. A pot that can't sit still in the middle will always be ruined.

Z said...

I think of a young boy in the barber chair and how MUCH he wants to SQUIRM! Don't we do a great job of squirming to escape God's plan for us sometimes!?

often!?

Anonymous said...

Blessings Brother your blog is a blessing loved this "wait till he is finished".

Godbless

Anonymous said...

I always feel so child-like when I look back, having come through a big event, and see how God's plan worked out in my life. I'm always surprised at how my plan would have been horrible, had it come to completion, but His always seems to mesh together just right.

So simple, but it amazes me every time. And the pain that is mixed in doesn't seem to matter so much in the end.