Friday, February 20, 2009

"Antiperspirant Life"

There's nothing more embarrassing to an individual who takes careful thought into their everyday appearance, than when they are odiously offensive. I remember when I was instructed in the use of deodorant, and the purpose for using it. Deodorant is actually a wonderful invention to say the least, and there have been many days and times when I wished everyone in the world in which I lived thought as much about it as I learned to do.

I was shopping for myself once and had to purchase some more deodorant for myself seeing I was almost out of what I had. I noticed all the different types of deodorant name brands and thought I would try something other the brand I was accustomed to using. Imagine my surprise when I had noticed, after using this 'new brand' of what I thought was deodorant, how let me say 'tart' I was only after a few hours. Upon further inspection of my new bottle of deodorant, I found it wasn't deodorant at all but instead it was antiperspirant.

Some may say, 'what's the difference?' Well, simply put, deodorant is an agent for destroying odors. Antiperspirant is an astringent substance applied to the skin to reduce perspiration. Now, the thing is this; they look the same in the grocery store and to tell them apart you have to read the label.

Paul says, "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Let's not be the type of Christian who looks good and has a sweet smell about them, but as soon as the trials and troubles of life begin to heat things up for them, the sweet smell of the antiperspirant is replaced with the smell of discontentment and desperation. However, before we dress ourselves each day we must first apply the righteousness of His Spirit through prayer and devotion and as our day progresses and the trials come, we can then raise our hands to Him because we are "SURE".

Are you Sure or Unsure?

7 comments:

Z said...

OKAY, I know this is probably inappropriate, but I couldn't help but giggle and add "And please let's not RAISE OUR HANDS to HIM if we're NOT SURE (that our deodorant works!)?!" Sorrrry!!
Wasn't there once a deodorant called SURE? I think so!

On the serious note...I love your reminder about putting on the armor, the righteousness of the Holy Spirit....that's a SURE THING!! the ONLY Sure thing

Yehudi said...

Great point! After living what seems to be half of my life in the Refiner's fire, there is much to be said for being sure. I love your simple perspective on these topics of paramount importance...keep it up!

I.H.S. said...

Z, You're right we mustn't lift our hands if we aren't sure. They must be lifted as the scripture says, 'without wrath and without doubting'. His Spirit is the only way to do this.

Yehudi, As always, thank you for your words, and give Hashem all the praise for allowing me to write as I have, it's Him not me.

Blessings.

Z said...

IHS..I hope my joke wasn't offensive!

Is there REALLY scripture about raising hands only when no doubt's there and no wrath? Beautiful.

Papa Frank said...

Let's not forget that even Moses needed help in order to keep his hands raised. Sometimes we desperately need each other to help us even with with what we can only do ourselves.

Exodus 17:11-12
11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset.

I.H.S. said...

Z, yes.

1Ti 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Blessings.

Yehudi said...

Good morning, IHS! I stopped by hoping to see a new post to get my day started. Hope all is well and I look forward to reading your next post!