Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Always Ask"

Yep, I'm going to let the world know, I grew up with some pretty strict rules as a youngster and when I attempted to bypass those rules I always found myself in a very precarious predicament. Meaning, I almost always got a spanking (P.C. word) for not getting permission to do what I tried to do and got caught.



We always had to ask to do anything and almost everything, we didn't go outside to play without asking. We didn't go into the refrigerator without asking, we didn't invite company over without asking. Sometimes we didn't ask without asking, just trying to make my point.



We were taught to do this by our parents to get us to focus on a couple of things, and they are: 1. Our parents decided what we were to have and when we were to have it. 2. What might have been a 'yes' two days ago doesn't mean it will be 'yes' today, things change.


2Sa 5:19
And David enquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go up to the Philistines? wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the LORD said unto David, Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into thine hand.


2Sa 5:23
And when David enquired of the LORD, he said, Thou shalt not go up; [but] fetch a compass behind them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees.



Notice how David enquired of the Lord, meaning he asked, in the 19th verse of 2 Samuel 5 and how the Lord delivered the Philistines into his hands, but notice the second time David enquired of the Lord and how in the 23rd verse the Lord did something a little different with David and the strategy he employed.



Saints, we must remember to continuously ask God what we should do and the directions we should take, because the way He took us last year isn't necessarily the route He's taken this year but we'll never know unless we 'Always Ask'.

9 comments:

Z said...

I never thought of this, IHS...very interesting.
And, by the way, did MY MOTHER and DAD raise YOU, too!? How'd I MISS that!? :-)
You never heard "because I SAID SO", DID YOU!? haa!!

I just NEVER thought of this angle...of things changing with Him. Great point..now I can be even MORE confused !!!! thanks, really..z

Yehudi said...

I really appreciate your simplistic appraoch to our relationship with Hashem. It reminds me of the Lubavitcher movement in Judaism. Have a blessed day!

I.H.S. said...

Yehudi, you will have to tell me more about this Lubavitcher Movement.

Blessings.

Yehudi said...

Two great places to start is www.aish.com (my favorite), and www.chabad.org.

Aish has a lot of terrific articles and studies about Orthodox Judaism in general. I think you would find it very enlighening and learning the first half of your Bible from a Jewish perspective would really enrich your understanding and your relationship with G-d. :)

Z said...

D..do you know how much Christians study the O.T., too? AT LENGTH. Truly! I have...I love the O.T...it gives us EVERYTHING!!

Yehudi said...

I prefer the Tanakh, definately my 'comfort zone.' :)

shoprat said...

People all too often don't ask God because they are afraid of what He will say.

I.H.S. said...

I agrre shoprat, and I would add some people don't ask because they know what He'll say.

Blessings.

Z said...

Shoprat and I.H.S...that's what's so wrong with society today...people knowing better but doing what they want to do, anyway.