Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"Testimony Service?"

I remember, when I joined what a lot of people called the sanctified church, there was at the beginning of the service this part called testimony service, and some places called it devotional service. This was the time when those in the congregation could get up and sing a song that they loved and then after singing two verses and the chorus they would then start telling everyone in the church how good the Lord has been to them.

This was the general format: " first giving honor to God; who is the head of my life and to his Son Jesus. I honor the pastor of this church, to all the elders and ministers, to the deacons and to the mothers of the church and the missionaries, members, saints and friends. I thank God that I'm saved from my sins, sanctified and filled with the precious gift of the Holy Ghost..." They would then proceed to expound on an incident where had it not been for the sovereignty of God something bad would have happened or something bad happened but God turned for their good.

This was a time when the saints would encourage one another to continue to move forward with God as their Lord and Saviour. The testimonies that were given at times would directly speak to another individual in the congregation and that they would see and hear that if God did for that person then surely He would do it for me too. However, a lot of churches no longer have that time in the services anymore, and I've heard some pastor's say the reason being was the people began to glorify what the enemy was doing as opposed to God and it also became a place for some people to tell off others.

Whether the church you attend has testimony service or not; I believe in my heart that we as believers must continue to "testify" to one another all that the Lord has done and is doing in our lives. It's a normal thing for me to call home to my parents, and while I'm on the phone with my dad or my mama Al the conversation never ends before we have expressed to one another what God has been up to in our lives and this carries us until the next time we speak.

So, I implore all believers to get back to "testifying" to one another and watch God strengthen you even more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in churches that do the testimony service, but it sadly seems to be becoming rarer. It strikes me as a beautiful, quaint relic of somewhat 'old fashioned' churches. People are just not made to speak up anymore and testify, even in front of other Christians who love them.

Z said...

I've never even seen that kind of thing. But, I've sure seen it at bible studies! BIG TIME. One of the best gifts we give each other is seeing God is THERE through the things we see in our lives and the lives of others. What a great post, I.H.S. Meeting you has been a total blessings.
Another way YOU testify to us about faith.
I love this and will try to remember to share more and more. Also, I notice that the more we NOTICE that He's doing, the more He seems to do. wow I'd never suggest this as a "you see me, so I'm with you more" ...like he needs us for anything!?, but there's something very special about that fact.

Anonymous said...

hiii nice blog and I like it, $$mile 4 u today and dropping too