Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"What If He Said It To You...It's Not You...It's Me"

I have heard a whole lot of different reasons people use to tell some else why they don't want to be with the other person any longer. There is the 'I just think we need some time a part to see where this is going'. I can tell you where it's going... no where because you aren't together anymore for it to go anywhere, duh.

There's the 'I don't love you the same way I did in the beginning'; could it be you didn't love them in the first place? 'I think we have grown a part from each other', which means one person wants to grow in the relationship and the other is satisfied with the way things have been. Then there is the grand daddy of them all: 'It's not you, it's me'.

All these different excuses I've heard and maybe even ones I may have used in the past got me to thinking about the relationship I have with the Lord. I was pondering to myself how I would feel if He came to me with any of these reasons not to be with me any longer.

The sad truth of this post is, if the Lord decided to write us a 'Dear John Letter' today He would be completely justified in breaking off His relationship with us. We have been less than faithful to Him, non trusting of Him and most of all we haven't loved Him in anyway He would like. Yes, He could very well say goodbye to us and we would deserve it. He wouldn't have to say, 'It's not you, it's Me' if He said anything it would be, 'It's you, not Me'.

The great thing about this truth we deserve is, He is true to His word. He said this in Jer. 31:3 ...yeah, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. Then He says in Heb. 13:5 ...I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Have you check your relationship status lately? Is it you?

2 comments:

Papa Frank said...

I want you here with me.
But you've been keeping other company.
You can't sit still, it's plain to see.
You love the world and you're avoiding me.
My word sits there upon your desk.
But you love your books and magazines the best.
You prefer the light of your TV.
You love the world, and you're avoiding me.


You used to pray, you were so brave.
Now you can't keep even one appointment we've made.
Oh I gave my blood, to save you life.
Tell me, tell me is it right?
Will you leave me here along again tonight?


Well I love you, still more and more.
But you're fighting everything I'm working for.
You're acting like my enemy.
You love the world and you're avoiding me.
These other loves, they're hurting you.
If you end up losing me, then what will you do?
Oh, I gave my blood, to save your life.
Tell me, tell me is it right?
Will you leave me here alone again tonight?
Well, I want you, here with me.
But you've been keeping other company.
You prefer the light, of your TV.
You love the world, and you're avoiding me.

You love the world, you love the world,
You love the world and you're avoiding me.
Oh, you love the world.
You love the world and you're avoiding me.

-- Keith Green

shoprat said...

Several OT prophets spoke of God divorcing Israel and Judah, but it was a temporary thing, sort of a tough love and when they were ready He took them back.

That of course is not usually the way to deal with human relations. I am very glad for God's patience.