Monday, November 30, 2009

'Hello? Can You Hear Me Now?'

I have to admit...I have, what some would consider, selective hearing. i don't mean to have it all the time, but for some reason it seems to manifest, (that's a very spiritual word we like to throw around in the Pentecostal churches to show our deepness), when I'm being asked, by the Mrs., to do something around the house or going to the store. I have a type of sixth sense when it comes to these things and because I really don't want to them right away, my hearing is switched to the selective slot and pretty much every third word is heard.

example:
wife: Hey, honey I need for you to go to the store before the game.

what I heard: Hey...I need(meaning she needs)...to go...before the game.
my response: Ok.

I know I'm not alone with this type of affliction, (another pentecostal word), which seems to the only affliction no one wishes to be free of anytime soon.

I was thinking about the importance of hearing, and how our very safety is determined by what we can or what we have heard. The announcement by flight attendants, the sound of a fire alarm, instructions by tour guides, scuba instructors, etc. When we ignore what we are hearing could change the very course of our lives for the better or for the worse.

The scriptures tell us; that only the those who belong to the Lord know what His voice sounds like and that a stranger they won't follow. So, how is it that we sometimes get side tracked? I believe it is because of a couple of things:

1. What we are hearing the Lord speak to us at that time isn't as satisfying to us as is what we are feeling. We allow what we feel to override what we know we hear. The example to this being, Issac in the 27th chapter of Genesis. Issac knew what he heard was the voice of Jacob, but he allowed what he felt with hands to fool him.

2. We are side tracked because we blatantly refuse to hear what is being said. Because we fail to listen to the instruction of a test in school we fail the test. the Lord told Adam not to even touch a certain tree in the garden of Eden (Gen 2:15-17), but Adam ignored what the Lord had said; which brought about the fall of man.

I believe that our hearing whether natural or spiritual is perhaps the most important of all our senses, and that it has to be very important to God as well. The scriptures record verses like: "he that has an ear to hear...", "faith comes by hearing...". There were times in my youth when they use to check our hearing at school and when I received my first drivers license, a persons hearing was important.

Hello? Can you hear me now?

1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Amen, brudda! I'll see you Upstairs in the Great Beyond where we must have a beer and talk, k? I wanna give to you 11 verses I find, shall we say, ENTHRALLING? exciting? kick-ass? wonderFULL? God bless you profusely.
---
Hebrews 11:1
2 Timothy 4:3-5
Galatians 4:16
Daniel 12:3/Malachi 3:17-21 similar
1 Peter 4:8
1 Corinthians 11:1
Romans 8:18
John 3:36
Matthew 5!!
Luke 13:24
Acts 5:29
---
Be at peace, my friend.