Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"I'm stepping out on Faith...Just stop it!"

I was having a conversation with a relative of mine, I do that from time to time, and as we were speaking the conversation went in another direction just out of the blue, because they do that when we talk. Suffice it to say the conversation now took on a whole other feel from one of casual banter between two relatives with equal abilities of sarcasm to one of total and abject hostility towards the new discussion we found ourselves engrossed in thanks to them.



Now, allow me to give a little background of my relative and I. We both have a deep and abiding love for the Body of Christ i.e. believers in the Lord Jesus. And, we share our experiences with one another on the day to day experiences we have with believers as well as with non-believers. The latter being the bulk of conversation and how the Lord allow us to be able to come into contact with someone during the course of the day and able to show forth some grace to them and thanking God how some doors were then opened to share the Gospel in some small way.



However, this days conversation turned toward believers and their ideas of what they call walking in faith or as my title says: stepping out on faith. I guess the best way to describe is with analogy:
Me: Hey where you going, I thought you said you didn't have any gas?

Them: I don't, but I'm stepping out on Faith that the Lord will get me there and back.

Me: *telephone rings* Hello...Yeah, I'll be there in a little while; just let me go by the gas station first.

I hope this makes clear what I'm trying to say about some of these "stepping out on faith" decisions. Once explained a lot of them are nothing more than the desires of the individual trying to spiritualize their decision which turns out to be nothing more than running out of gas unnecessarily.

So, let's all stop and ask ourselves the most important question we can ask ourselves before taking this leap into "stepping out on faith" which is: Is this what God is telling me to do or is this what I want to do? Everything we do shouldn't be lumped under the umbrella of faith when it comes to the decisions we choose to make because the scriptures tell us faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen; which is solely based off of what the Lord has spoken and not just on what we desire because all our desires may not be in line with God's Will for our lives.

Have you ever "stepped out on faith"? Have you ever "stepped out on faith" and it wasn't what God wanted?

10 comments:

Alisha De Freitas said...

Very good topic. My parents adhere to "Word of Faith" doctrines, and I have similar disagreements with them. What they practice is faith in faith, seperate from faith in the Lord. I just try to remind them that in matters of faith, as Christians, our ultimate desire should be God's will be done in our lives.

Tanya Coles said...

Great blog. I stepped out on faith one time, when I had a 2nd job, and just decided one day, that I wanted to quit it. I was thinking this God telling me to quit, but really it was my flesh. I quit the job and had some financial issues, because it wasn't in God's timing. I ended up going back to the 2nd job, which was also not on a God-said, and was miserable. After a couple months, I prayed that God would release from this job, but THIS TIME I would know it was Him. He did release me from that job 7 months ago, I have not wanted for anything, AND I just bought my first home almost 3 months ago, still only working one job. Our flesh can trick us alot of times and make us think that we are moving on a God-said. We have make sure we keep our spiritual ears in tune w/ God's voice and the Holy Spirit. Fasting is an excellent way to clean our spiritual ears, because our flesh and the things we subject our flesh to, can easily clog us up spiritually. Also, some people think they have faith but they have no works, such as, believing God for a house and car, and yet you won't even get a job. The scripture is so true that faith without works is dead, being alone. We have to prove to God that we do have faith that He can do all His Word says He can do.

shoprat said...

You need to step out on faith from time to time, but that is definitely one of those times that unless the LORD builds a house. You have to be convinced that it is God's will and not just walking off a cliff convinced that God will stop you from falling.

Z said...

The more you hear God's voice, the more you recognize it. I've been confused from time to time, but not so much anymore as it's such a strong, unrelenting feeling. I'm not saying I hear words, but I get the picture! a tug.

Sometimes I want to shirk that tug off...that never works in the end.

We're stepping out in faith at the doctor today. Prayers appreciated.

Helen said...

I think I may have in a small way.
When my mom was in rehabilitation, she was supposed to learn how to walk, but didn't (long story). She wanted to come home anyway. The nurses and healthcare providers told me I wouldn't be able to handle her at home. My husband said that the ten commandments say to Honor thy Father and Mother, and Mother wants to come home with us, so that is the way it will be.
Guess what. I have been able to handle her (with the help of my dear husband of course). She has been home with us now for two and a half years.

Anonymous said...

You make a key distinction - God rarely if ever asks us to 'step out in faith' to take a poorly planned, unnecessary risk. If it's a risk He wants, it's usually not a spur of the moment 'drive with no gas' type of risk.

I.H.S. said...

Matt, as always thanks for stopping by, and I think I'm going to attempt to take this subject matter a little further with trying to determine where we as believers got this "step of faith" ideology as it is shown today and not in the scriptures...

Blessings.

shoprat said...

IHS Satan asked Jesus to take a step of faith by stepping off the spire of the Temple. Jesus answered "Thou shalt not tempt the LORD thy God."

I.H.S. said...

Shoppie-That scripture totally excaped me, thank you very much for your input as always. You are a good brother.

Blessings.

Curtis said...

I really enjoyed that.
Very insightful...and true.
Blessings to you.
Curtis