Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Don't Be Dashboard or Back Window Christian"

I know I'm not the only who's seen the individuals driving down the road and as they pass you; there in the back window is a Bible or maybe you've walked to your own vehicle and have noticed the car backed in next to yours and there on the dashboard on the driver side is a Bible.

Now, a Bible in the back window or on the dashboard isn't necessarily a good or bad thing simply because one doesn't know to whom the Bible belongs. One doesn't know if the Bible is even removed from the vehicle at all, and you can pretty much gauge how long it has sat there by the coloring of the outer cover.

The Bible on the dashboard or in the back window only gives an assumption of the Christian-ness of the person or persons in the vehicle. The same I think can be said of the individual who is quick to quote a scripture or the one who says God bless you or states they go to church every Sunday. I drove past a church and on the sign it read: 'You preach a better sermon with your life than you could with your mouth'.

I believe we should be more than the Bible on the dashboard or the one in the back window; which only brings speculation to whether or not we are TRUE believers. But, rather we should be living epistles who not only read the Word but most importantly we live the Word, and in doing this I believe we truly fulfill the will of the Lord.

2 comments:

Z said...

I've heard an expression which, if I remember correctly, goes "You might be the only Bible some people ever read" Yup.

Easy to quote chapter and verse; hard to LIVE THEM. It's why I tout wearing a cross on one's neck; you be a person who affects them in a positive way; through kindness or wisdom or just caring demeanor, and people catch that glint of gold and put 2 and 2 together. A friend who also wears a tiny pearl cross tells me it reminds HER to be a better person BECAUSE she's wearing it...so she's not a stumbling block to anyone.

Living epistles..a good suggestion.!

shoprat said...

I feel the same way about people wearing crosses. Some treat them like good luck charms.